For contributions to the use of wireless signals in the context of novel applications, including battery-free communications, health monitoring, and gesture recognition.
In recognition of significant contributions, early in his career, to wireless connectivity, with an emphasis on novel technologies for wide-area wireless access and smart antenna networking.
In recognition of significant contributions, early in his career, to mobile sensing and wireless networking, with an emphasis on location and cross-layer protocols.
For contributions to understanding mobile design tradeoffs, driven by novel platforms and large longitudinal studies of mobile users.
For contributions to understanding wireless interference, and for service to the research community.
The SIGMOBILE RockStar Award recognizes one or more recent technical contribution(s) made in the early part of a mobile computing researcher's career, resulting in notable influence on our field. Early career for an individual is defined as within 10 years of receiving their highest university degree, while being younger than 40 years of age at the time of the nomination.
Selection is based on the impact of the candidate's work in creating promising new ideas, paradigms, and tools, related to mobile computing. Depth, impact, and novelty of the individual's contributions will be key criteria upon which the RockStar Award Committee (RAC) will evaluate the nominees.
Deadline for Nomination:
15th February for award in that calendar year.
Following an open call for nominations, nominations should be addressed to the Chair of the RockStar Awards Committee (Prof Edward Knightly - email@example.com). The nominator should solicit recommendations from colleagues in the field who are most familiar with the nominee's achievements.
Each nomination should consist of the following items:
- Name, phone number, and email address of the person making the nomination.
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee, including name, phone number and email address.
- A brief citation, no more than 150 words long.
- A statement, no more than 500 words long, on why the candidate deserves the award.
- Minimum of three and maximum of five supporting letters from individuals who endorse the nomination. The recommender should identify the rationale for the nomination and by what means they know of the nominee's work. Endorsement letters may be sent in the form of emails and should not be more than 400 words.
1. Edward Knightly (Chair) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Hari Balakrishnan (Senior Research Community)
3. Anind Dey (Senior Research Community)
4. PR Kumar (Senior Research Community)
5. Suman Banerjee (2013 winner)
6. Lin Zhong (2014 winner)
7. Romit Roy Choudhury (2015 winner)
8. Karthik Sundaresan (2016 winner)
**** The following to be replaced by Rockstar Award recipients as they occur:
9. Lili Qiu (SIGMOBILE EC)
Retired from Selection Committee
1. Roy Want (SIGMOBILE EC)
2. Marco Gruteser (SIGMOBILE EC)
3. Alec Wolman (SIGMOBILE EC)